Goi Vit Bap Chuoi (Banana Blossom Salad with Duck)
- 1 young banana blossom, sliced
- 500ml/2 cups ice water
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 duck breasts
- 60ml/¼ cup Fish Sauce Dip
- 1 tsp thinly sliced polygonum leaves (rau ram)
- 2½ cm/1in fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp crushed roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1 tbsp Crispy Fried Shallots, to garnish
- Boil the sliced banana blossom in a pot of water until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove and soak in the ice water with lemon juice for about 1 hour, then squeeze until dry and set aside.
- Place the duck in a saucepan and cover with ¾ cup of water.
- Poach over medium low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool, then shred the duck along the grain into thin strips.
- Combine the banana blossom, duck,, Fish Sauce Dip, polygonum leaves, ginger and peanuts in a large bowl, and toss until well blended.
- Arrange the salad on a serving platter and sprinkle with the Crispy Fried Shallots on top.
- Serve immediately.