Ca Chep Kho Rieng (Braised Fish with Galangai Sauce)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 6 fish steaks (halibut, swordfish or carp, each about 100g)
- 4cm/1½ in fresh galangal root, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp Caramel Syrup
- 125ml water
- Heat the oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat.
- Stir-fry the galangal until golden brown and fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the fish steaks and pan-fry for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Add the fish sauce.
- Caramel Syrup and water, and braise the fish uncovered until cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Arrange on a serving platter and serve hot with steamed rice.